This is essential for an diabetic who wishes to maintain a normal lifestyle without poisoning himself with carbohydrate or the wrong type of fat.
Good wholemeal wheat bread is around 11% protein, 40% Carb, 3% fat and 6% Fibre (by weight)
and 10:1 Omega6 to Omega3
Flaxseed, Chia seed, Protein & Psyllium Bread is around 10% protein, less than 1% Carb, 8.5% Omega3 fat, 2.3% Omega6 fat, 3.5% sat/mono fat and 15.5% Fibre (by weight).
So here is how to make a bread with 40x less carbohydrate and 2.5x more fibre and a 37x more favourable Omega3 to Omega6 ratio than the best whole meal wheat bread !!
So the flax and white chia bread is 40x better for blood sugar and 37x better for insulin resistance (being 37x less inflammatory). This is the bread to eat.
This bread is very low in carbs, gluten free, mega high Omega3 and fibre and protein. Here is the latest recipe for a 2lb loaf...
200 grams Flax seed (healthysupplies.co.uk) ground into flour (in blender)
200 grams WHITE chia seed (salba seed) ground into flour (not black chia seed)
10 grams caraway seed ground into flour
2 grams cloves (to stop the bread going mouldy - it lasts for weeks actually)
50 grams Psyllium husk (Just Ingredients - Amazon) ground into flour
20 grams baking powder
750 grams water
1. Grind Psyllium Husk for 20 seconds precisely.
2. Grind the white chia seeds and flax seeds and caraway seed in batches into a fine powder flour in a Cuisinart spice mill or a coffee bean grinder or a powerful blender with the milling blade (this makes wonderful flour). Do not grind the seeds so much that they become butter. If the flour sticks to the side of the grinder then you have gone on too long and the oil has started to come out of the seeds. It should be light non sticky flour. This will take around 30-40 seconds no more.
3. Add all the dry powders together and mix together well (Kenwood chef)
4. Pour in the water and mix with the Kenwood Chef on a medium setting for around 1½ minutes until the dough sticks to the mixing attachment and not to the side of the bowl.
5. The dough should now have the consistency of putty. Scoop the dough out and slap it with your hands until all the cracks have gone and a subway type shape is achieved. If the dough sticks to your hands a lot then you have used too much water.
6. Put the sub in the 2lb loaf tin.
7. Bake at 200 degrees FAN ASSISTED for 75 minutes bottom shelf.
The baked loaf will weigh around 1070 grams.
|Chia seeds, dried||US||-5.75||5.93||486||7.70||16.50||0.00||34.40||30.70||3.33||2.31||23.70||0.14||0.00||0.00||0.03||0.03||2.17||0.06||0.91||0.09||0.03||0.00||17.80||5.83||0.03||2.20||0.00||0.00|
|Salba seed, white chia seed||GR||-5.90||4.48||531||2.90||22.20||0.00||30.00||34.50||3.33||1.90||29.22||0.14||0.00||0.00||0.03||0.03||2.17||0.06||0.91||0.09||0.03||0.00||22.87||6.35||0.03||1.87||0.00||0.00|
|Rice Protein (Pulsin - Amazon)||GR||333||1.00||80.00||0.00||8.00||1.00||0.33||0.33||0.33||0.0||0.33||0.00||0.33|
|Bread, whole-wheat, commercial||US||-0.15||31.56||252||36.70||12.40||4.34||6.00||3.50||0.72||0.62||1.59||0.02||0.01||0.01||0.01||0.00||0.43||0.00||0.23||0.01||0.01||0.00||0.14||1.45||0.02||0.58||0.00||0.00|
|Bread, wholemeal, average||UK||0.79||34.89||217||42.00||9.40||2.80||2.50||0.46||0.59||0.82||0.04||0.00||0.00||0.00||0.35||0.08||0.01||0.00||0.00||0.06||0.76||0.01||0.54||0.00||0.00|
Protein: 48.7+29.5+32 = 110.2. This is 10%
Carb: 4.26+3.86+0.4 = 8.52, This is 0.8%, less than 1%
Sat/Mono Fat: 29.8+6.96+0.26 = 37.0. This is 3.45%
Omega3: 60.65+30.42 = 91.07. This is 8.5%
Omega6: 15.72+8.45+0.33 = 24.5. This is 2.3%
Fibre: 72.62+39.9+3.2+50=165.72. This is 15.5%
kcals: 1420+706+333 = 2459 per loaf