This is essential for an diabetic who wishes to maintain a normal lifestyle without poisoning himself with carbohydrate or the wrong type of fat.
Good wholemeal wheat bread is around 11% protein, 40% Carb, 3% fat and 6% Fibre (by weight)
and 10:1 Omega6 to Omega3
Flaxseed, Chia seed, & Psyllium Bread is around 7.7% protein, less than 1% Carb, 8.7% Omega3 fat, 2.3% Omega6 fat, 3.1% sat/mono fat and 14.6% Fibre (by weight).
So here is how to make a bread with 40x less carbohydrate and 2.4x more fibre and a 37x more favourable Omega3 to Omega6 ratio than the best whole meal wheat bread !!
So the flax and white chia bread is 40x better for blood sugar and 37x better for insulin resistance (being 37x less inflammatory). This is the bread to eat.
This bread is very low in carbs, gluten free, mega high Omega3 and fibre and protein. Here is the latest recipe for a 2lb loaf...
200 grams Flax seed (tree-harvest.com) ground into flour (in blender)
200 grams WHITE chia seed (FRESH salba seed with a sell by date at least 2 years in the future) ground into flour (not black chia seed)
3½ grams cloves (Antifungal and to stop the bread going mouldy - it lasts for weeks actually)
50 grams Psyllium husk (Amazon) ground into flour
20 grams baking powder
750 grams water
1. Roast the chia seeds in the oven for 70 minutes at 105 degrees C fan
assisted in large trays spread very thinly (this removes most of the fungus on
the outside of the chia seeds without denaturing the seed).
2. Grind Psyllium Husk for 20-25 seconds.
3. Grind the roasted white chia seeds and flax seeds in batches into a fine powder flour in a Cuisinart spice mill or a coffee bean grinder or a powerful blender with the milling blade (this makes wonderful flour). Do not grind the seeds so much that they become butter. If the flour sticks to the side of the grinder then you have gone on too long and the oil has started to come out of the seeds. It should be light non sticky flour. This will take around 30 seconds no more.
3. Add all the dry powders together and mix together well (Kenwood chef)
4. Pour in the water and mix with the Kenwood Chef on a slow setting for around 3 minutes until the dough sticks to the mixing attachment and not to the side of the bowl.
5. The dough should now have the consistency of putty. Scoop the dough out and slap it with your hands until all the cracks have gone and a subway type shape is achieved. If the dough sticks to your hands a lot then you have used too much water (I use rubber gloves here).
6. Put the sub in the 2lb loaf tin.
7. Pre heat the oven to 230 degrees C fan assisted. Heat the bread from below not from above.
8. Bake at 230 degrees FAN ASSISTED for 20 minutes - keep the main heat below the loaf
9. Bake at 200 degrees FAN ASSISTED for 55 minutes - keep the main heat below the loaf
The baked loaf will weigh around 1050 grams.
|Chia seeds, dried||US||-5.75||5.93||486||7.70||16.50||0.00||34.40||30.70||3.33||2.31||23.70||0.14||0.00||0.00||0.03||0.03||2.17||0.06||0.91||0.09||0.03||0.00||17.80||5.83||0.03||2.20||0.00||0.00|
|Salba seed, white chia seed||GR||-5.90||4.48||531||2.90||22.20||0.00||30.00||34.50||3.33||1.90||29.22||0.14||0.00||0.00||0.03||0.03||2.17||0.06||0.91||0.09||0.03||0.00||22.87||6.35||0.03||1.87||0.00||0.00|
|Bread, whole-wheat, commercial||US||-0.15||31.56||252||36.70||12.40||4.34||6.00||3.50||0.72||0.62||1.59||0.02||0.01||0.01||0.01||0.00||0.43||0.00||0.23||0.01||0.01||0.00||0.14||1.45||0.02||0.58||0.00||0.00|
|Bread, wholemeal, average||UK||0.79||34.89||217||42.00||9.40||2.80||2.50||0.46||0.59||0.82||0.04||0.00||0.00||0.00||0.35||0.08||0.01||0.00||0.00||0.06||0.76||0.01||0.54||0.00||0.00|
Per 2lb Loaf:
Protein: 36.6+44.4 = 81.0 gm. This is 7.7%
Carb: 3.2+5.8+1.25 = 10.25 gm, This is 1%
Sat/Mono Fat: 22.4+10.46 = 32.9 gm. This is 3.1%
Omega3: 45.6+45.7 = 91.3 gm. This is 8.7%
Omega6: 11.82+12.7 = 24.5 gm. This is 2.3%
Fibre: 54.6+60.0+39.0=153.6 gm. This is 14.6%
kcals: 1068+1062+5 = 2135 kcal per loaf
Weight: 1050 gm